The Park Surgery

The Park Surgery

Old Tetbury Road, Cirencester, Gloucestershire, GL7 1US

Current time is 19:13 - Sorry, we're closed


Telephone: 01285 654733

Off to University?

Registering with a Doctor
When it comes to registering with a doctor at university you have two options:
1. You can register at the local GP surgery near your university. Many universities have a local GP that they can recommend for their students. This is also quickest and easiest way to access health services whilst away at university.
2. You can stay registered here at The Park. You will be able to see us in the holidays, arrange telephone calls during term time, and we can even send your repeat prescriptions to your new local pharmacy. You will still be able to access emergency health care at university by temporarily registering at the local GP surgery at the time the care is needed by becoming a temporary patient.

Registering with a Dentist
Doctors are unable to deal with dental problems, so make sure you locate and register with the local dentist in case any problems arise.
Not all dental treatment is free, even under the NHS. However, you may be able to apply for help with health costs for dental care and prescriptions.

Men ACWY Vaccine
Young teenagers and ‘fresher’ students going to university for the first time are advised to have a vaccination to prevent meningitis W disease.
The vaccine is administered to the upper arm and protects you against 4 different strains of the meningococcal bacteria – (Men) A, C, W and Y.
The vaccine is being delivered to teenagers and first-time students through schools or the local GP.

University students:
Students going to university or college, including overseas and mature students up to the age of 25, should have the vaccine, ideally before the start of, or as soon as possible after the start of, the academic year.
New students are at higher risk of infection because many of them mix with lots of new people, some of whom may unknowingly carry the bacteria. The highest risk of infection is in the first year of university, particularly in the first few weeks.
As the Men ACWY vaccine is targeted at those at highest risk, students in their second year or above of university are not included in this vaccination programme.

Side effects:
Like all vaccines, the Men ACWY vaccine can cause side effects, but they are generally very mild.
The most common side effects seen are redness, hardening and itching at the injection sight, fever, headache, nausea and fatigue.
These should last no more than 24 hours. However, sometimes a small, painless lump develops, but this usually disappears within a few weeks.
Who should not have the Men ACWY vaccine?
You should not have the vaccine if you are allergic to the vaccine or any of its ingredients. You can find out the vaccine ingredients online by searching for the information leaflet for Nimenrix.

You should also check with the doctor or nurse before having the vaccine if you:
• have a bleeding problem, such as haemophilia, or bruise easily
• have a high temperature
• are pregnant or breastfeeding

How to spot meningitis and septicaemia
Men W disease can come suddenly and progress quickly. All meningococcal infections can cause meningitis and septicaemia, but Men W can cause other illnesses, such as pneumonia and joint infections (septic arthritis).
Early symptoms of meningococcal disease include:
• headache
• vomiting
• muscle pain
• fever
• cold hands and feet

A rash of tine red pinpricks may also develop once septicaemia has set in. You can tell if this is a meningitis rash by doing the ‘glass test’ – when gently pressing a glass against it the rash does not fade under pressure.
If you, or a child or adult you know, have these symptoms seek urgent medical advice. Don’t wait for a rash to develop. Early diagnosis and treatment with antibiotics are vital.

Please make sure your mumps vaccine is also up to date before going away.

Other health services

Most universities have good links with other specialists, such as psychiatrist, psychotherapist and counsellors. The welfare department of your university will be able to support you in getting in contact with the right service.
You can also go to the local pharmacy for medical advice and support. If there is not a specific pharmacy counter, ask the person at the till if you can speak to the pharmacist. They may be able to offer you medical advice and suggest medication.
You can also visit the local walk-in centre or minor injuries unit. These can provide treatment for injuries or illnesses such as cuts, bruises and rashes. You don’t need to be registered and you don’t need an appointment.
However, they are not designed for treating long-term conditions or immediately life-threatening problem
The NHS 111 service is also free of charge and will be able to offer you medical advice for non-urgent problems if no service above is available to you.

In an emergency, dial 999.

Handy things to have in your flat:

• Pack of plasters
• Crepe bandage
• Antibacterial wipes

A leaflet with this information is available to take away with you, please collect one from reception